UNION COUNTY THEATER
New Play Day
Interested in trying your hand at playwriting or already an accomplished writer? Put your creativity to work by writing a 10-minute script and watch your play come to life when the Union County Playmakers hosts a New Play Day at Wingate University on April 20, 2018. The script submission deadline is February 16, 2018.
Writers ages 15 and older may submit scripts for plays that have not been previously published or performed and that are suitable for general or youth audiences. Scripts may be rejected if they are determined to be inappropriate or if they cannot be produced under the production restrictions of time and space. No more than two scripts per playwright may be submitted.
This event is a partnership between the Playmakers and Wingate University’s Communications Department and Drama Society. These organizations will provide the space for one technical rehearsal and performance, advertising, and basic staging materials; playwrights provide script, actors, and director, if desired. Playmakers could assist with a director or casting, if needed.
The process follows the following steps:
1)Engage your creative self.
2)Write a ten-minute play using the standard script format that can be performed on a bare stage or with limited staging and props.
3)Submit your script no later than February 16, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org; include your name, email, and phone numbers.
4)If your play is presented, you may cast and direct your script as a staged reading or memorized performance. If you need help casting or directing, UCP will help.
5)Present your ten-minute play on April 20, 2018 at the Recital Hall of the Batte Center at Wingate University.
- Provide three final drafts of your script to email@example.com by February 16, 2018.
- Contact Gay Clyburn at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help finding a director/cast by March 25.
- Submit any changes required for participation by April 21.
- Show must be a maximum of ten minutes in length.
- All shows must be appropriate for a family friendly evening. (G-PG-13 rating).
- All required changes to the script must be emailed to email@example.com one week prior to show.
- Please format your script using the Samuel French formatting style, which can be found at: http://www.samuelfrench.com/content/files/upload/General%20SFI%20Formatting%20Guidelines%20Complete.pdf
Expectations for Preparation
All shows should be staged either bare stage or with minimum furniture. UCP will provide four chairs, one table, and one two-seater bench and will work with the director if additional pieces are provided by the participant.
- Participant is responsible for the casting, directing, and staging of their piece. (If you need aid finding a cast or director e-mail Gay Clyburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Pieces can be performed as either staged readings or fully memorized productions.
The Day of Show
- Two scripts should be brought for the stage manager in addition to any scripts needed by cast.
- Cast members should arrive one hour prior to performance.
- Cast members will remain in audience until their show. They will then be announced and take the stage. Accommodations will be made for any costume changes.
UCP/Wingate University will provide:
Venue with basic lights
3 scripts with submission (for readers)
Scripts for cast plus 2
Cast, Director, Costumes and props. (UCP may assist)
2/16/2018 Deadline for submissions
3/2 -9/2018 Play reading and elimination
3/12/2018 Selected plays announced
3/19/2018 Auditions, if needed
4/9/2018 Program information deadline
4/20/2018 New Works Presented
PLAYMAKERS is supported in part by the Union County Community Arts Council and the Grassroots Program of the North Carolina Arts Council, a state agency.